Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Friday, November 24, 2006

Celebration Central

Yesterday's harvest festival kicked off a month of holidays for me and Robin. A week from tomorrow, December 2nd, is my 49th birthday (and you're all invited! see invite here and please start RSVPing!), followed by our eighth wedding anniversary on the 4th, then Robin's 45th birthday on the 6th, then the 15th begins Chanukah (which I mostly commemorate by lighting candles on each of the eight evenings and trying not to burn the curtains and surrounding area), I have the day off to celebrate Christmas with Robin on the 25th, unfortunately I don't have the day off for Boxing Day which follows, but I'm off again on January 1 for New Year's Day. During that time we balance and "light" our fiber optic tree atop the platform overlooking our front window, give each other the same sorts of pressies we exchange the rest of the year, listen to Christmas songs and watch seasonal TV movies and animated shows (there, that's all three of my annual holiday links done), send out paper cards and the yearly Riggs Residence Roundup to friends and family, open up the fold-out table in the living room and put treats on it that we don't see the rest of the year, and generally start winding down for the cold months ahead. As Rob's Christian family is an ocean away and my Jewish one doesn't do the Christmas thing, our holiday season is what we've chosen to make it, and I'm sure we're not the only ones starting traditions-for-two. Here's hoping your season is festive and peaceful.

0 comments: