Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Pen-Elayne Party 2006 - Announcement #1

On Saturday, December 2, 2006, I plan to party like I've just turned 49. And you're all invited! At this point plans have yet to solidify totally, but I'm thinking along the following lines so far:

• Even though it's a Saturday, I'd like to hold the party during the daytime so folks can return from Bronkers to their homes before it's an ungodly hour. Say, a 1 PM start time.

• This and subsequent blog announcements constitute the invitations; I don't plan on sending out any additional ones via email. But I would like to receive RSVPs via email so I can send you directions and such, as well as get an approximate count of attendees. I'm setting the deadline for RSVP'ing as Wednesday, November 29 to give us enough time to plan. As I'm a secretary, there will doubtless be nametags/handle tags.

• I hope to see friends from the comics industry, the Firesign chatters, and regular Pen-Elayne blog readers. Hey, maybe I'll even be surprised by folks from other fandoms in which I've participated in the past... Uncle Floyd, sf fandom, who knows? 'S what I do, bring together folks from all these little intersecting circles.

• There ought to be plenty of parking within a couple blocks of our house, if not within the U-shaped driveway enclave itself, but we're also very accessible from lots of different public transit choices (from both NYC and Westchester). Public transit is strongly encouraged!

• The current Riggs Residence isn't as massive as our last apartment, and we have very few chairs, so be prepared to sit upon our comfy carpet or bed or circulate standing.

• Menu not planned yet, probably typical party food like cheese and crackers. I haven't exercised my entertaining muscles since before 9/11 but I'm sure it'll come back to me. (I've already started planning my Thanksgiving-for-two menu for the previous week.) Presents not necessary, but any type of food or beverage you'd care to bring is fine.

• The Riggs Residence is a non-cigarette-smoking home. Any legal tobacco products should be smoked outdoors; there's plenty of room (our "stoop" consists of a dozen steps) and it's a nice quiet area. Oh, speaking of steps, we live on the top floor so you'll have to deal with a dozen steps outside then a further dozen inside.

• Please be aware we have two strictly-indoor cats, who have free reign of the apartment. Although it's possible they'll run and hide at the first sight of a stranger, and of course the place will be given a good vacuuming, their presence remains. If you're allergic, please take your allergy medicine beforehand or consider alternate plans.

Anyway, that's all I can think of so far, but please stay tuned to this blog for further announcements. Hope to see you all on the 2nd for my 49th!

0 comments: