Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Sunday, July 06, 2014

Silly Site o' the Day

Wow. What a terrific weekend. The weather was amazing, low 80's and even lower humidity, it was a pleasure to sit outdoors with Tom and Lili's Bridgeport friends, none of whom knew us but all of whom welcomed us without hesitation into their celebratory clan, and eat various grilled items and the best Buffalo chicken dip I've ever had (okay, the only Buffalo chicken dip I've ever had) and view Mark's fireworks up close and personal - it made me feel positively patriotic. While the pyrotechnics were very 21st century, the makeshift parade up and down the blocked-off street and the party in general felt very small-town Americana. It felt like a microcosm of what America should be - a place that welcomes in everyone, where even outsiders become your neighbors, where dogs love beer... wait a minute, that's from the second parade video, sorry. (Three short videos uploaded to my YouTube channel, such as it is.) Anyway, what I mean to say is, I was standing there watching the fireworks bursting in air Right Friggin' Above My Head and I actually felt a twinge of hope and patriotism, which to me are kind of the same thing, and all was good and perfect and right, for those shining moments. I don't really have a silly site to match that quite serious admission, but since many of the attendees seemed to be hippie types in their sensibilities (after all, the fireworks were preceded by Hendrix' version of the Star Spangled Banner) I thought this reworking of a classic Dragnet episode might be appropriate:



Via BoingBoing. Hope everyone out there had a great weekend!

0 comments: