Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Silly Site o' the Day

Fact!: I had two job interviews today. Fact!: The first is quite promising but as a large corporation they will be taking their time with the interview and follow-up process, so it may take awhile to shake out. Fact!: The second position sounded like it would become too much like my last job so it wasn't right for me; ah well. Fact!: I got to Midtown Comics in between the interviews so my folder there is finally empty... well, until the new comics arrive tomorrow. But it's nice to be caught up on all non-DC stuff for the moment, at least. Fact!: The BxM1 express bus is apparently sporadic at best during non-rush hours; after I'd walked one avenue and seven blocks (mostly uphill, toting my comics-laden bag with my interview shoes, walking stick-just-in-case, job folder and such all the way) I wound up waiting over an hour with fellow freezing passengers in weather much colder than any of us had anticipated. Fact!: Once on the bus, I received a cell phone call that turned into a phone interview and had to cut it short because I was disturbing a fellow passenger, who turned 'round and admonished me, "Have some consideration!" Excuse me, ma'am, it was only a JOB INTERVIEW that might affect my ENTIRE FUTURE, I'm very sorry to have disturbed your ride by speaking in a normal voice for maybe TEN minutes. Fact!: I didn't actually say that; I acquiesced immediately, of course, as she was in the right -- and oft-read sign on the bus makes it very clear passengers should keep cell phone use to a minimum so as not to bother fellow passengers. The HR person completely understood and we finished our phone call later, and my seat-mate was very supportive which helped mitigate my frustration. Fact!: I'm damned exhausted and Robin's had a bad reaction to a new OTC allergy medication, so I'm going to join him in bed. Fact:! The late Arthur C. Clarke will be greatly missed; and the sun rises in the east. More amazing facts (none involving me) at Mental Floss' Amazing Fact Generator (via Gerard).

0 comments: