Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Liberal Coalition Top Ten
Week of 3/19 thru 3/25/06

Hoorah, after three days Bloglines once again "found" my Atom feed, and the last three days' worth of posts have finally shown up there. No time like the present to not only remind readers that this year's Estrogen Month add-some-worthy-women-to-my-blogroll voting now underway (only five more days!), and to carry on with my weekly look at Liberal Coalition members' posts that caught my eye:

• Alex at Sooner Thought warns us that Halliburton's coming to his back yard. Yikes, run away!

• Andante at Collective Sigh brags about her daughter, as well she should!

• Bryant Gries at Make Me A Commentator!! has gone all Goon Show on us. Not that I'm complaining!

• Echidne of the Snakes examines that deceptive "freedom" that never seems to be defined. Frankly, I think to many conservatives "freedom" and "free markets" are one and the same; it's the freedom of rich people to exploit everyone else while they acquire stuff.

• The Farmer at farm runoff explains what salvia is. I'd never heard of this plant before, either the "benign" one that grows in these parts or the divinorum hallucinogenic variety that's found pretty much only in Singapore.

• John at archy is perhaps too excited about an upcoming mammoth movie. Geez, I have no idea why, it's not like it's snakes on a plane or anything.

• Steve Gilliard at The News Blog has lots of tasty stuff, as usual, including examining the right's tendency toward more open racism of late, displaying a modern recruitment poster, and reminding us why the old boys' network is alive and well.

• Trish Wilson tells us which of the top 100 must-read sf books she's actually read. A lot of them aren't on my list because I got tired of feeling left out of the fun (identifying-with-character-wise) because I was female. Of the list, I count only nine by women, and to my recollection I've read 19 of the 100 listed, which sounds about right as I have little interest in some of the male authors and heretically suspect the movies made from their tomes are probably more interesting than the original text in many cases.

• upyernoz at rubber hose has fond memories of the Queen of the North.

• Lastly, given my Bloglines feed-reading problems the past few days, I'd be remiss if I didn't acknowledge those LC members whose feeds haven't been working properly due to no fault of their own. Keith Kisser at Invisible Library invites us to download his new book (I've just downloaded the PDF), and Mike from Left is Right has tons and tons of cool sites for us to peruse.

0 comments: