Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Friday, March 24, 2006

Estrogen Month - Salute to Straw

In honor of the woman who probably influenced me more than any other (just got off the phone with Mom); in the hopes that despite this evening's relapse (after waiting for a homeward-bound bus for 15 minutes in the biting wind after, ironically, the pharmacy told me my medicine wouldn't be ready for a couple of hours) I think I'm finally getting over this month-long cough; and considering we still have a week left in March, I've decided to do a truncated version of last year's not-quite-good-enough-for-the-Koufax-finals Estrogen Month. As you may recall, this was a month-long event wherein I attempted to introduce readers (and myself) to new voices in the feminist blogosphere, via holding weekly polls wherein folks could vote to add names to my regular reading list and sidebar blogroll.

So I'll get to the "rules" of this year's version in a minute, but first I wanted to mention that I've added a few names on my own, women who'd either inadvertently been dropped or weren't added and should have been or had me blogrolled and I'd neglected to reciprocate. So welcome (back) to the blogroll, Riggsveda and News Writer and Terry and especially Ilyka Damen, for whom this has been Blog Against the Strawfeminist Week. Do click through the link above to read her entire (and very amusing) intro, and then read about bipolar strawfeminism (positively link-crazy and brilliantly written!) and playing name that quote year and repurposing Animal Farm and getting feedback and pop, pop, pop culture and *gulp* castration and, at last, a search for definition. Nice job this past week, Ilyka!

Now, to the "rules," such as they are:

• If you click on my Bloglines subscriptions and go down to the 7th and 8th categories, you'll see two sections called "Where the Women Bloggers Are." This where I bookmark my "gals in waiting" blogs, ones that were brought to my attention but which aren't yet on my official sidebar blogroll and regular reading list.

• Peruse these two sections as much as you like, particularly the first one, which has blogs that I found of more specific interest to me (and all the links are current as I just went through them today to make sure). The sections are listed alphabetically by blogger name/handle, with the blog name following in parentheses.

• If you see one or more blogs there that you personally adore, or that you simply cannot believe aren't on my regular list yet, speak up in the comments section attached to this post and the "countdown" comment sections to follow in the next week. Please make some sort of case (it doesn't have to be long, a sentence or two is just fine) for why you think I should add your blogger(s) of choice to my blogroll, and why other Pen-Elayne readers should check out her/their blog(s).

• You can, of course, give a shout-out yourself to be added to my blogroll if you're not there already! If you have or know of a female-written blog that isn't listed in the "Where The Women Bloggers Are" sections, and you don't see the blogger's name anywhere in my sidebar sections (under Liberal Coalition, News+Views Gals, Kultcha Gals, Dynamic Duos and Group Blogs), please let me know about it!!

• On Friday, March 31, I'll tally everyone's votes and add the top vote-getters to my sidebar. Meanwhile, everyone keep checking the comments sections to find out, as I hope I will be, about some great female-run blogs out there!

Now, if only my Atom feed starts working again I'll be a happy camper...

0 comments: