Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, October 21, 2023

Silly Site o' the Day

Well, that's my big social soiree for the year! And what a perfect day. By the time we got to the NJ side of the GW Bridge the sun was actually shining. On a Saturday! Unexpected and wonderful. We drove across I-80, down I-287, then across I-78, amidst the trucks and cross-country adventurers, and admired the absolutely awesome foliage along the way. I live all year for this. I guess in a way I also live all year for my annual college service frat reunion party, but this year was extra special as my old roomie from my junior year, was going to be in from CA, and I haven't seen her in lo these 40-plus years. But the light was still in her eyes as we hugged and hugged; she'd just lost her husband of lo these same decades, and they were kind of the Brenda and Eddie of my college experience, so I was pretty heartbroken on her behalf. But she was, as she's always been, amazingly resilient and still smiling and laughing, so that along with so many other moments should make for lovely memories (if I can hang onto them). We even got home with no problem, as I decided to ignore the GPS in favor of my driving instincts which turned out correct (I-80 turns into I-95 no matter what side of the divide you take). After this I just want to go back to my old yearbooks and seek out their photos again, but I'll make do with this instead.

0 comments: