Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Thursday, November 25, 2021

Silly Site o' the Day

Happy American-celebrated Harvest Festival, probably my favorite holiday, and especially this year. Once the parade ended we decanted the bean salad into the pretty container and drove up to Rockland County, my ancestral spawning grounds, to see relatives I hadn't seen in two solid years. It was fitting the first person I hugged, and wept with, was the sister of the first family member we lost to COVID way back when the whole thing began in March 2020. Now everyone except the 1-year-old and 3-year-old is fully vaccinated and most of us are boostered as well, so the hugs and tears flowed freely from me for at least the first 5-10 minutes. Felt so great to be with extended kin again! Even my uncle made a surprise appearance, although it turns out it may have been a surprise only to me. No matter, we ate well and celebrated being together and it was the best Thanksgiving in memory. No food failures either! Wish my mom could have made it up from Jersey, but I'll be seeing her on Saturday.

0 comments: