Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, September 11, 2021

Twenty? Try TWO HUNDRED.

Can we stop with the fetishizing now? Please? I was working in Manhattan 20 years ago, it will remain seared into my brain for the rest of my life, I don't need all this salivating over reminding me. It only serves to punch up the jingoism at the expense of what really mattered at Ground Zero immediately after the tragedy. And this year of all years? Give me a break. More than 3000 people, most of them my fellow New Yorkers, lost their lives that day. More than TWO HUNDRED TIMES that number of my fellow Americans have lost their lives in the last year and a half. I'm sure we'll be debating for eons to come whether this tragedy as preventable as that one, but I'm just fatigued by it all, and trying not to fall into despair among the remembrances. I really wish my best friend Leah (whose birthday this would have been) were still here with me...

1 comments:

Tegan said...

I ended up spending most of the day offline because I couldn't take the constant reminders.