Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Silly Site o' the Day

My newest ComicMix column has been posted. This one's a bit insular, so Mom probably doesn't need to read it. It's about the latest wave of superhero-comic-related products that demean female characters and, by extension, female comic book readers -- but more than that it's about the amazing reaction to it in feminist fandom. I don't think I've witnessed this much eloquent cultural activism since my college days, and that's all the way back in the heyday of second-wave feminism! I also got in a plug for my efforts (during those same second-wave days) in bringing egalitarian thought to the Discordian movement, since today is the Goddess Eris' holy day (May being the 5th month of the year, and 23 and 5 being Her favorite numbers). And in honor of Eris Discordia, we present (via lovable atheist PZ Myers) the God Simulator!

0 comments: