Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Magic Numbers

I didn't get nearly as much done at work yesterday as I'd wanted. It was billing day, for which I got dispensation from doing the Massive Data-Entry Assignment from Hell, but I also wanted to organize and deposit a bunch of checks to get that out of the way before going back to the MDEAH. However, due to at least eight interruptions (half from my boss calling in), all of which were about me doing other things -- not more than 24 hours after my boss specifically assured me that would no longer be happening -- I'm starting to rethink the whole "cut down on the personal things" promise as well. After all, if they can't keep their end of this "bargain," why should I keep mine? Not that it was ever presented to me as a a deal, it was more like a pseudo-ultimatum... Oh well, I've started keeping track of how many times a day (and why) I'm interrupted, just so I have the record for myself and posterity. And at least I got some back-pay yesterday for other work I'm doing there.

Not that the money (or even the job security) makes much difference at this point, and I never thought I'd say that. When I'm constantly too exhausted to relax and enjoy myself in my off-hours from feeling like I'm falling behind on everything, numbers don't matter nearly as much. Even numbers like 09-F9-11-02-9D-74-E3-5B-D8-41-56-C5-63-56-88-C0 and I'll tell you why: That series of numbers is essentially all about passing along a cheat code eliminating copy protection from high-definition (Blu-ray) DVDs, and while Digg contributors are making a good point about the service attempting to "censor" posts about it and this being Not A Good Thing and presumably contrary to what they're about, the cheat code itself speaks to the idea of fan entitlement, "entertainment should be freely available on demand" and all that, which sets of all sorts of red flags with me.

Not that I'd probably notice red flags at this point if they were waved inches from my face. Godamighty, I'm beat. Time to get dressed and sequester myself for another eight hours (closing my office door, alas, only prevents visitor interruptions, not phone call interruptions)...

0 comments: