Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Friday, April 06, 2007

Outward Directed

It's hard -- so hard! -- to bring myself out of introspection mode. Anything can trigger crying jags again. Last night's episode of Scrubs is a case in point, where a favorite character passed away from brain injuries sustained in an auto accident. What's that saying about something hitting way too close to home?

But it's equally true that much of the healing process after the death of a parent needs to be the realization (emotionally, not just intellectually) that not only are many other people going through what you're going through, but that life goes on outside our grieving selves, and we need to be a part of it. So I'm tentatively going to try to do my first "blogaround" since Dad's death.

• It being April, this is National Financial Literacy Month, and Colleen Doran is posting tons and tons of useful financial information for freelancers.

• April is also Sexual Assault Awareness Month (with yesterday being Blog Against Sexual Violence Day). Over at Girl Wonder, Rachel Ededin is planning "a month's worth of columns about sexual assault issues in comic books and how they correspond to real life." And Natasha at Pacific Views has her own story as a victim of domestic terrorism; it won't be easy to read but I recommend you try.

• Via Big Brass Blog, April 6-8 has been designated for a Blog Against Theocracy blogswarm. I'll put up my contribution sometime before the end of the weekend.

• When my cousin and his family (including my godson Jonny and his brother, the leader of Daniel's Heroes) paid one of their shiva calls last week, they remarked on the fish emblems affixed to the back of my car. The kids though they were actual Jesus fish (which, you know, why would I have that?) until they looked more closely. Well, the person who supplied me those emblems, Nona Williams at Ring of Fire, is having a contest for a new design, according to her fellow judge PZ Myers. I wish I could think of something for Robin to design and send in, but I believe Nona & co. really covered all the bases with "gefilte" (Hebrew-type lettering), "sushi" (Asian-type lettering) and "'N Chips" -- those are certainly our big three.

• Speaking of designs, I was amused by both Lauren's Diagram of a Blog (which really seems to apply more to blogs that garner lots of heated discussion in their comments section than to something like Pen-Elayne) and Andrea's "Geek Girl" Stereotype Bingo. Update: Via Zuzu at Feministe, the blog diagram wasn't Lauren's, it was from the NY Times, and Chris Clarke did a more specific-to-liberal-bloggers take on it.

• Lastly, I really enjoyed Joy Nash's Fat Rant on YouTube, and hope you do as well:

Thanks for passing this along, Barry!

0 comments: