Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Monday, March 05, 2007

Estrogen Month - Day 5

Still no votes on which pop-culture feminist bloggers to add to my sidebar, so I took it upon myself to add Andrea Rubenstein, aka Tekanji, as I've probably been reading her blog the longest via Bloglines without adding her to my regular blogroll. Welcome, Andrea! She has another good one up today, wherein she points out that "Privilege is not needing to consider how non-privileged groups feel about the way you paint them." I thought that spoke well to some of the blog controversies swirling about last year vis a vis Photoshopped blackface, the Clinton blogger luncheon, etc.

In other news, Shelly and I are finally communicating directly in her comments section about comic book reviews that only mention characters and not creators, one of my pet peeves. We've basically agreed to disagree, and I think we've both tried to be nice about it (she for one has been super-nice, particularly considering how snarky I started out), and as I've mentioned previously her views have partially inspired my upcoming ComicMix column.

The other person inspiring the column has been Heidi Meeley at Comics Fairplay, today's featured pop-culture feminist blogger. One of the more fun things Heidi's been doing lately is posting thumbnails of comic book covers and polling her readers, "Is this gratuitious?" while giving her own view of why she thinks the cover is or isn't. Great audience-participation idea! Lots of her other posts also lead to thoughtful musings and commentary, like the one to which I responded about customer service in comics.

The guidelines for nominating and voting for feminist pop-culture bloggers during Estrogen Month are outlined here. (Thanks to Lesley for reminding me that the "gals in waiting" sections of my Bloglines subs are actually called "Where the Women Bloggers Are.") The guidelines for participating in the 12th Carnival of Feminist Science Fiction and Fantasy Fans, which Pen-Elayne will be hosting to close out Estrogen Month on March 31, are outlined here. (For the Carnival, please send links via email or use this submission form rather than posting in the comments section, which I'd like to dedicate to regular Estrogen Month activity.)

0 comments: