Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Estrogen Month - Day 4

Still no responses at all to my first three EM posts. Please spread the word, I'd like this to be as participatory as possible. If I don't hear from anyone by the end of today I'll choose one person anyway from the names I'll have mentioned so far in my EM posts, and put her on the Kultcha section of my sidebar blogroll.

I've affixed the graphic below on the sidebar until next Thursday, which of course is also International Women's Day:

Blog Against Sexism Day

Click for the full details. As it was last year, this is being organized by vegankid, who also has some great recent posts up at her blog for Black History Month.

But as vegankid appears to blog more from the political than cultural end, I wanted to highlight another pop-culture feminist blogger today who's not yet on my sidebar, Shelly from Shelly's Comic Book Shelf. Of particular interest to me was her recent post Things I'm Pondering, which begins "I've been reading a lot in the comics blogosphere lately about feminism in comics, female characters, exploitation of same, costume issues, gratuitous ass shots, etc. I've read arguments from one end to the other. We support what's there when we buy it, so do we have the right to complain? Do comics publishers owe us anything? I have no answers, just questions right now." Naturally, the questions she asks are all good food for thought. She's also posted about Manhunter, the book my husband is currently inking, being saved once more from the chopping block, but since she doesn't mention any of the creative people on the book at all she loses points for that, all of which she gains back immediately because her post inspired a comment from me (and a subsequent post from her and another comment from me) that I have expanded into my next ComicMix column. Thanks Shelly!

The guidelines for nominating and voting for feminist pop-culture bloggers during Estrogen Month are outlined here. On a separate but related note, as mentioned yesterday, this blog will be hosting the 12th Carnival of Feminist Science Fiction and Fantasy Fans; click on that last link to see the guidelines, etc.

0 comments: