Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Friday, June 09, 2006

Maintenance Notes and Linky Love

Heck with "finishing the internet" (aka, getting through all my blog reading); if I don't do this now it'll only keep building up. Unfortunately an error message which closed all my browser windows means about half the links I'd already written about then checked off (many of which were very good posts in reaction to the Robert Kennedy piece in Rolling Stone about the 2004 election) have gone bye-byes. Ah well, that's one way to get through my tagged bookmarks (*sigh*). Onward I press anyway:

• A number of science bloggers are sowing new SEEDs. Liberal Coalition member Bora Zivkovic aka Coturnix has decided to shut down Circadiana (retaining its archives), refocus Science and Politics (to which he'll still post but more infrequently) and open up A Blog Around the Clock, which has become my official link for him on the Liberal Coalition section of my blogroll. I don't recognize most of the other names but they have a combined feed if you want to spend lots and lots of time reading science blogs.

• Gail Simone has a blog! It's called Bloodstains on the Looking Glass. How could I not add to my blogroll this wonderful friend who just happens to write the book that my husband is inking? I especially liked her two posts on The Best Advice Ever About Writing and The Best Writing Tips I Ever Got.

• Also, Newsarama has a blog, doo dah, doo dah. Lots of talented folks involved, including Kevin Melrose and Graeme McMillan, and at least one female blogger at last count! I've added them to my Group Blogs section.

• And Robin just informed me that Marvel has some blogs as well. Here's their main link; I'm still in the process of seeing if their RSS feeds work and which if any I want to follow before I add anything to my blogroll.

• Michael Netzer is back from his latest sojourn in the Israeli desert and has restarted his blog as Rabble-Rouser, throwing full-force into the ring his opinions on the Taki Soma/Charles Brownstein incident (at least a half dozen posts so far, keep scrolling down). Michael promises via email that he'll soon get to blogging about his desert experiences.

• Before she went off to Vegas (in June! even my parents, who live there half the year, are back in Jersey now) to party with the "cool kids" at YearlyKos, Barbara O'Brien had written a couple of posts about religion at Glenn Greenwald's blog, and was surprised at the vitriol she received, so she decided to analyze it. Quitre a bit came from people who were reading into her posts what they expected she meant rather than what she actually said.

• However, as expected, fellow YK attendee PZ Myers begs to differ on the point of why religion, all religion, shouldn't be despised. "Faith is a hole in your brain," he insists, echoing George Seaton's line from Miracle on 34th Street "Faith is believing in things when common sense tells you not to." Sayeth Dr. M,

When the core of the institution is an acceptance of irrational, the ones who will climb to the top are those most able to exploit the delusions of the masses, or who are most earnest and unhesitating in their endorsement of foolishness. This is what religion does best: build a hierarchy of clowns and tyrants on the wishful thinking of the innocent. Why should we want that to be a model for a democratic political system?

Which in turn conjures up for me Peter Stone's line in 1776 that "most men without property would rather protect the possibility of becoming rich than face the reality of being poor." Why am I always thinking in movie quotes?

• Speaking of which, Colleen Doran notes that message boards are still hotbeds of useless argument and debate, rather than harbingers of actual communication. I think blogs may suffer from this as well, but to a lesser extent since the debating is usually confined to comments sections.

• Mark Evanier has a great anecdote about a candy called Idaho Spud.

• Piny at Feministe talks some more about politics and comedy, specifically satirizing misogyny.

• David Byrne misses album cover art. I do too, although I'd have posted different examples than he does, like the Talking Heads album cover that never was. Interestingly, Talking Heads had a "tradition of antagonism with their record company" over album covers.

• Scott at World o' Crap found out what happened to all those icons and landmarks that don't seem to be in New York City any more, according to the Department of Homeland's Security "you don't need all this money" allotment.

• Natalie is cycling Hadrian's Wall! Here's Day 1 and Day 2 of her journey. I'm perfectly content to use my stationary bike...

• Can there be too much noise in the world? Astarte is frustrated with the great unwashed on and around city buses (tell me about it; when my car was in the shop, I was often overwhelmed by the noise level on the rush hour Bx9) and Patrick has little patience for poets and pundits on public transit. And rural areas aren't as exempt as you might think - Chris Clarke has barn owl issues. And Bryan just wants his cat to be a bit quieter in the wee hours; speaking as someone woken up this morning at 4, then again every hour until 7, I heartily agree.

• The Editors at The Poor Man has put his finger on the snooze button of why some people persist in living in their dream worlds.

• Amanda at Pandagon examines the truthiness of the Newsweek disinformation article about women of a certain age having a greater chance of being terrorist victims than finding husbands.

• Becky at Preemptive Karma talks about irrational hatred towards countries now trading in petro-euros instead of petro-dollars. When we were in England, Mr. Sideshow cited this as a major reason for the invasion of Iraq.

• Shakespeare's Sister thinks the Dominionists are stepping up the violence as they see their political power start to erode, as well as asking (re: the now defeated gay marriage ban nonsense), what about love? And for that matter, what about common sense when facing up to the atrocities of the war in Iraq? Should Chris Albritton's impassioned defense of reporter Ellen Knickmeyer and other journalists doing a dangerous job to bring us the truth even be needed?

• If you haven't seen it yet, do give John Rogers' musings on the term "chickenhawk" a perusal.

• Lastly, Hugo Schwyzer speaks about Our Kind of People (OKOP) and NOKOP.

Anyone still there? Oh, good. Cat blogging is next! Damn, I'm still reeling from the last episode of Dr. Who, what a delightful Mary Sue-ish wetdream that was...

0 comments: