Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, December 20, 2003

LC Saturday

A few Liberal Coalition members are on a bit of a hiatus this time of year, and frankly these things can get unwieldy, particularly given how behind I am on blogroll-reading, so I'll probably not be mentioning every single member every single Saturday henceforth. (Hey, it's not like I'm mentioned on all of their roundups, after all, although I thank Mustang Bobby, Stradiotto and Rivka for their nice words!

First off, I echo the Farmer's statement regarding not linking sooner to the LC member entry in this week's New Blog Showcase. Unfortunately, the direct link for Chris "Lefty" Brown's What's so funny about peace, love, and higher taxes is bloggered (Chris, have you tried republishing the site?), so you might have to scroll down a bit.

  • Elsewhere on Corrente, Lambert resurrects and updates some light bulb jokes. I used to collect and create those back in college. Seemed a lot less icky than dead-baby or "Mommy Mommy" jokes. Oh come on, if you're around my age you know you did it too. He also comments on Joe "Latke-Cheeks" Lieberman (yes! i coined that epithet!) by engaging in a bit of MadKane-like song parody, except of course everyone knows that if you understand the lyrics it's not a true Creedence song. And his Minister of Fear post is spot-on. Lambert's totally on a roll lately, I wish I got to Corrente more often. Oh, and evil me, I swiped their pretty LC logo to use on the bottom of my sidebar.

  • LC leader N. Todd Pritsky reports on Rupert Murdoch's latest piggy acquisition. Must have been a condolence gift on the occasion of Les Hollings' passing. After all, "In particular, Les was very committed to labour market deregulation as a means of boosting national productivity and international competitiveness." Gag me.

  • Speaking of gagging, new LC member Steve Gilliard takes a look at US Magazine. His links are bloggered too; scroll down to "The other America." Funny essay, but I gotta confess, Steve, it does read a bit like elitism to me, even if I know that's not what you intended. It's worth remembering that any kind of entertainment that gets on TV or the radio or print media or wherever is there in response to public demand, for the purpose of selling a predictable audience to advertisers. If people stop wanting it, they'll stop printing, airing and showing it. (I may be blogging about this more tomorrow.)

  • Clonecone reports on something extremely Craptastic - that WalMart is now testing an 88¢-per-song online music service. I like his snarky comment at the end of the entry. :)

  • Isn't Scott Baron at the Gamer's Nook just a wee bit late in noticing the resemblance between Joe "Latke-Cheeks" Lieberman (y!itce!) and Emperor Palpatine (actually actor Ian McDiarmid)? That creepiness has bothered me ever since the last Presidential election campaign... Also a good excerpt, with accompanying commentary, of a CNN interview with John Glenn. Oh, and how well do you know Scott anyway?

  • Lilith Devlin talks about our meet-up. :) Hope you're all resettled in Albu-- Albe-- New Mexico, Lilith!

  • Scout has started an Unofficial Bash for Cash fundraiser. Everyone really seems to be getting into this idea of pledging money to the Dean campaign every time another Democratic candidate forgets they're supposed to be on the same side and says something nasty about him.

  • Guy Andrew Hall's pissed about the pingy thingy. I hate to say it, but I kind of agree that updating your blog more than once in a half hour doesn't necessarily deserve a ping every time.

  • Peter notes that Moammar Qaddafi (remember him? one of our past bogeymen) is going to allow weapons inspections and that Libya will eliminate all its WMDs. So what's our excuse for not eliminating ours? Edwardpig has more musings on the subject here and here.

  • Dowingba is into That Movie, and has seen it twice now. Andante's into it as well. I'm figuring on bringing my seat cushion to the theatre (I mean, come on, 3 hours 20?) sometime between Christmas and the New Year, but I've been getting into the Starz specials today...

  • Charles2 brings us some pilot's memories on the 100th anniversary of mechanical flight.

  • Keith Kisser presents The Invisible Manifesto.

  • Time, time, time, see what's become of upyernoz.

  • Amy, alas with no permalinks, has a good story about companies price-gouging on flu shots, which is just the kind of humanitarianism called for during an epidemic.

  • Lastly, she's not up on the LC blogroll yet, but Echidne has begun a great series called Rara Avis - check out part 1 (scroll down, link's bloggered).
  • 0 comments: