Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Thursday, July 19, 2018

Sily Site o' the Day

Today was probably the best day of my vacation. I felt strong and healthy and able to walk the entire length of Manhattan's newest park, the High Line, so that's what Robin and I did. Absolutely gorgeous, at least up through 23rd Street, after which the flowers and trees began to look the same as the lower half of the park. And the area between 30th and 34th isn't quite landscaped yet, so all that was consisted of a paved road around the old tracks and more pebbles than plant growth and schlepping over to 12th Street and up in the bright sunshine. Thank goodness they had water fountains! By the time we hit 30th and 12th I needed help from my walking stick, and I was very happy I had it during the 20-minute wait for the crosstown bus across from the Javits Center. Didn't need it once the express bus dropped us off near our apartment, but we're both fairly knackered now. So here's a pleasant look at Ireland's president.

1 comments:

PJ said...

Probably one of the most glorious additions to New York, the High Line that is. I can remember when it was still only a dream but it's amazing how much it has changed that part of town. Actually the two things I am looking forward to are the opening of Vessel in Hudson Yards and then seeing if the Lowline ever actually gets off the ground. In the meantime might I suggest meeting Robin one Friday night at the Morgan Library... it's free! Not only that but they have wonderful music in the offing as well, I think you'll both find it quite enjoyable.