Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Wednesday, December 03, 2014

Silly Site o' the Day

Celebration week continues, as this evening KPMG's New York office held its annual town hall. Wow, I was totally blown away, not just by the metrics but the feels. Oh, the feels. The holiday reception afterwards, however, was a bit much for me, with the thumping loud music and dim lighting kicking in immediately to the point where, by the time Robin and I had spotted two of the few chairs available in the ballroom, I couldn't see the food I'd eagerly grabbed from the buffet (after waiting an inordinate amount of time in disorganized queues). And food just doesn't taste as good when you can't see what you're eating. We left after 90 minutes hoping to catch an express bus, but Sixth Avenue was filled with protesters in the aftermath of the Ferguson-like refusal to indict the cop who strangled Eric Garner in Staten Island back in July, and the buses weren't stopping around the police barricades. We subwayed it home and found out all the northbound express buses were suddenly diverted to Madison - no way for us to know that of course. Sometimes I just want to go back to a simpler time, but of course there's no such thing, plus I'd miss my iPhone. Fortunately, Museum of Selfies has that longing covered (via Laughing Squid).

0 comments: