Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Not Talking Like A Pirate Blogaround

As previously mentioned, it's Talk Like A Pirate Day. Bully gets into the act with some fun comic covers, Scott at Polite Dissent lists all the pirate comics he can think of, Lis Riba provides your alphabet for the day, and Laura Gjovaag has been celebrating this entire Holy Pasta Week like a trouper. Let's see, on Saturday I had leftover penne, on Sunday I had soup with rotini, on Monday I had lo mein which I'm counting as Chinese pasta so there, and no pasta yesterday as I've been dealing with a bit of a stomach bug and I just didn't feel like doing anything pasta-ish besides. Should have had more soup. Oh well. Onward!:

• Lest we forget what Holy Pasta Week is really all about, Teresa has a meaty post all about how some Intelligent Design schemers lie when creating their documentaries, and have even caught the intelligent Dr. Myers in their web of deceit. To be fair, I've seen these tactics from "our" side as well, as I mention in, for instance, my review of The God Who Wasn't There.

• Today is not only Talk Like a Pirate Day, but it's the 25th anniversary of the smiley face, the first emoticon. I can't believe emoticons have been around for a quarter of a century!

• My new column is up at ComicMix. "Lactivists" everywhere may never speak to me again, which I would consider a shame since this is probably the one subject on which I am in rather complete disagreement with them and in pretty much full agreement with Bill Maher (except for the unfortunate example he cites wherein he gets some facts wrong).

• Speaking of ComicMix, I wanted to thank Val D'Orazio for her effusive praise of the upcoming Phase II launch. By that point the Huge-Ass Project will be finished and I should be back to news blogging as time permits, but with this job one never knows. And by the way, as I've now made a promise to Robin and to myself, that's the last bit of "day job" whining you're going to see here for awhile. Take it as a given that I have not been happy with my situation for some time for a myriad of reasons and I'm still seeking an executive secretary position in Manhattan and my resume is clickable from the sidebar and have done with it, and I'm sure you're all very grateful now.

• Remember my "Assemble the Squad" challenge? So far I've seen three reviewers actually mention the art in the book, including a pleasant surprise from Johanna at Savage Critics given her dismissive remarks to Chris Mautner, so if she, Heidi Meeley at Comics Fairplay, and Corey Henson at Newsarama want their free autographed copies of Suicide Squad: Raise the Flag #2, please send me your snail mail addresses! To reiterate, my ultimate objective here is to get reviewers thinking about both aspects of a comic, the writing and the art, since a comic without art is, well, a prose book, innit? For those who believe I only have an intrinsic interest in this subject because I'm married to an artist, if you look at my old Pen-Elayne For Your Thoughts reviews from the '90s you'll see me cultivating a vocabulary with which to discuss comic art (not that difficult to do, honest!) long before Robin and I ever met. But speaking of intrinsic interest, the December DC solicitations have been posted; here's the solicit for SS: RtF #4. End of plug.

• Bibi has published all her animation video links in one handy post on Bibi's Box. You should bookmark this one, it's a really impressive list.

• Mario Batali is food-blogging! Here's the link to all three of his posts so far (hey, who knew he had a Mexican nanny?). Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to just subscribe to "Unclogged" without subbing to the entire Serious Eats blog feed.

• Food that isn't: Bacon-flavored chocolate is just wrong, okay?

• Woo-hoo, Jamal Igle's going to be a daddy! Congratulations, Jamal and Karine!!

• Kate Harding pens another beautiful post, this one about sabotage in the form of real-life concern trolls and advertising designed to make you hate yourself.

• Karen catalogs the "Leave XXX Alone!" viral videos. My favorite is from Geoffrey Chaucer Hath a Blog (doo dah, doo dah), which appears to be a Middle English transcription of the original, more or less.

• Lance Mannion explains why Quantum Leap was aimed at 12 year olds. Do all adults always sit there and analyze the science behind fantasy shows? Does nobody else have the reaction I do, a willing suspension of disbelief and a hand-wave of "it's magic" so I can enjoy the darn show? Although I'll admit I didn't remember the whole religious underpinning of the series, maybe because they dropped it fairly quickly.

• I think what happened to Andrew Meyer was horrid -- I have no great love for taser technology to begin with -- but Attytood (via Josh Marshall) does a bit of reading up and notes that "Every piece written by Meyer, mostly intended for the Alligator student newspaper and one or two published in a daily newspaper, the Sun-Sentinel, is an angry diatribe against someone, no matter what the subject matter." He definitely struck me as obnoxious and unhinged, which again is no excuse to taser him, although it's probably a good reason not to invite him to parties.

• Also on Josh's site is a good reminder of why Democrats aren't pushing the anti-war platform more vehemently, given the theory that "all hell really will break loose once US troops leave -- a not improbable assumption. And you come up with the conclusion that a Democratic president comes into office in early 2009 just in time to oversee Iraq's descent into anarchy." The Republicans get to have it both ways, once again -- they can blame 9-11 on the people in power before them rather than on their incompetence, and Iraq on the people in power after they illegally invaded and occupied. No mistakes are ever made on their watch; how convenient! This pervasive lie must be countered time and again in order for people to finally get it. 9-11, Their Watch. Iraq, Their Watch. Katrina, Their Watch. Tanking economy, Their Watch. Unsafe food, Their Watch. They Are At Fault, not the people who came before or after them. Their Watch, Their Responsibility.

Lastly, I hate to leave you with another warning, but Wayne reports that the price of your daily bread might be rising soon.

0 comments: