Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Assemble the Squad

So you know when I mentioned earlier that Robin got his comps of Suicide Squad: Raise the Flag #1? I didn't realize that, because of last week's holiday, the comps arrived a week later than they normally would have. And since the creators usually get their comps from the printer the week before the book arrives in stores, that means -- yes, Suicide Squad: Raise the Flag #1 is now available at your local comic shop. Here's a nice preview to whet your appetite. Talk has already begun on DC's message boards. Please let me know if you see reviews of this, particularly ones that talk about the art. I adore my ComicMix colleague John Ostrander, as he well knows, but a comic is more than the writing.

Yes, I know I sound like a broken record. And yes, I have an intrinsic interest in reviewers discussing the art on a book on which my husband is one of the artists. But I'm putting his money where my mouth is now: I'm issuing a challenge to all the comics reviewers and bloggers out there. If you've bought SS:RtF #1 and plan to review it, please talk about the art, at least enough to mention what you liked or didn't like about it. Send me the URL of your review, I'll post it here and perhaps drive some traffic to your site, and you will receive a free copy of SS:RtF #2, autographed by one of the artists, as my thanks (obviously this entails you giving me your snail mail address too). I can guarantee the inker's autograph, and possibly the writer's as well depending on when I next see John.

I look forward to reading your reviews, and I hope comics fans reading this challenge will spread the word. It should be important to all comics aficionados that reviewers look at a comic as a whole, not as just writing and plotting and dialogue. Let's see some good discussion about the characters that includes how they're presented visually. Thanks so much!

Full disclosure: My husband did not work on this cover, only on the interior.

0 comments: