Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving 2006

Datsa interrupted our night a couple times, never a good thing when I've taken an acetaminophen PM, so after Robin went back to sleep this morning I semi-watched the parade for the three hours it took to wake myself up enough to cook. Like a fool, I actually left the sound on, flipping back and forth between NBC and CBS. Yep, they're still sweetening the applause, it's still as fakey-fakey as ever. They even cut off pre-taped musical numbers. Meredith Viera looked like she wanted someone to put her out of her misery. And dang, it looked cold in Manhattan this morning, glad I didn't have to go out!

By noon, with most of my mis en place, I was ready to begin the prep on the turkey breast. It had only been thawing since Tuesday, so I figured it would take a little longer than usual to cook, which would give me time for all of the sides and a little rest if I timed it right. This year we tried an orange marmalade and ginger glaze, which burned-- excuse me, over-caramelized the outside, but most glazes tend to do that anyway, particularly if you have to leave it cook for over three hours.

I had a fairly ambitious menu this year, as I've gotten better at my cooking hobby. Six sides, four of which took fairly extensive prep (lots of veggie peeling), plus soup and dessert. Most of it turned out pretty good. Nothing was a disaster, but - well, more on that anon. We used a probe thermometer on the meat for the first time, which saved us a lot of checking up, but since the bird wasn't ready until half past four we had to reheat some of the side dishes whilst it was resting - again, all planned for in advance. And I finally got off my feet for the last hour or so, which I'd also been hoping to do (and needed, as my foot's still not 100%). Robin saw the chart I'd made of what would be done in what order, and remarked that it reminded him of a vacation itinerary, it was so detailed! But I would have been lost without it.

As I say, everything finally came together about 4:30 or so (which was pretty much exactly when the phone rang, and I knew it'd be Mom and Dad, so I apologize to my parents for letting the machine take it and I'll call you guys tomorrow), and Rob arranged it all on the table as I went to get my camera. I think the four and a half hours of kitchen magic paid off; what do you think?



Click to enlarge. Front row, left to right: clam chowder; cranberry sauce with mandarin oranges and pecans; da boid; da gravy; corn on da cob; Brussels sprouts with chestnuts. Back row, left to right: Apple shallot saute (my variation on this); panko stuffing with mushrooms, chestnuts and kielbasa; Kathy Flake's sweet potatoes with pecan topping; and Three Flavor Mash (potatoes, turnips and squash). That's got pretty much all the "traditional" Thanksgiving bases covered, as far as I was concerned.



And for drinks, apple cider for me and eggnog for Robin. Kitties eagerly, eagerly I tell you, await their turkey scraps.



Robin brought the turkey back into the kitchen to carve, then we loaded up our plates and zapped them for a minute or so in the microwave so they'd actually be warm again.



Here's Robin's plate. He forgot to put the cranberry sauce on it, but it's pretty colorful anyway. The only thing that didn't really work was the apple shallot saute. I don't know if I should have stuck with onions, or used different apples, or just forgotten about it - probably the latter. It tasted edible but just didn't go with the rest of the meal. And dang Kathy, that sweet potato dish was more like dessert! It worked even though I forgot to add the teaspoon of vanilla.



The actual planned dessert was apple pie a la mode. I'd say this dinner was probably about a 95% success. I took my time putting all the leftovers into storage containers, and washing up (which will wait for tomorrow) will probably have to be done in at least three rounds as I used up quite a few pots and pans, but it was well worth it.

I'm thankful that I'm able to afford to buy this food, and that I do not know hunger.

I'm thankful for my wonderful and supportive husband, and for all my family and friends.

I'm thankful for a job that includes health insurance, which has taken care of a few unexpected needs this past year, including that hospital stay and new glasses. (Also, apparently half the cost of my orthotics will be covered, so that's a lot I won't need to pay out of pocket this time around!)

I'm thankful for the opportunities I've had to get a better job, and confident that 2007 will be the year I finally break away. I came very close this autumn, and will resume my search after the holidays.

I'm thankful that enough voting citizens of the country where I was born and in which I've lived my whole life seem to have come to their senses and elected leaders who promise to be saner and smarter than the ones currently in power.

I'm thankful for kitties. I mean, kitties, y'know?

I'm thankful for this amazing tool we have that allows strangers to become friends, spreads news and truth at lightning speed, and brings the people of the world closer together. And I'm thankful there are people out there who still like to read my writing.

Linky leftovers tomorrow!

0 comments: