Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Silly Site o' the Day

Not feeling that silly, as the ankle was once again worse in the morning. The air cast has arrived at home but I won't be there until this evening so I'm making do. Still stunned over the Cory Lidle plane crash at York and 72nd, but grateful that the casualty count was so low. Losing Lidle so soon after Buck O'Neil has certainly given the MLB playoff presenters enough to prattle on about ghoulishly, as if grief has become a collective experience of necessity. Which wouldn't be a bad thing only it's not actual grief, it's TV-gloss grief, the surface form without the underlying construction. I don't know how to feel about Lidle's death beyond feeling sympathy for his wife and kid (and the same for the relatives of the other person killed), the sympathy extended to anyone in a civilized and compassionate society. So it bothers me when my TV implies to me how I'm supposed to feel.

Between the news about Lidle and the Mets game postponed last night, and the new "50" comedies (30 Rock + 20 Good Years) being mediocre at best (I'd watch the former one again, just to see if it goes beyond "occasional smile" to "actual laugh" next time, but I'm staying far away from the latter, which was utterly unwatchable by about 7 minutes in), thank goodness for Stewart and Colbert. I heard Stewart was on Letterman last night, but we went to sleep right after Colbert, with the extremely amusing George Lucas segments. Which reminded me that I wanted to pass on this very funny PowerPoint presentation to which Kevin linked. And if you missed Colbert's "Cooking with Feminists" segment with Jane Fonda and Gloria Steinem from Monday, here's part one and part two.

0 comments: