Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Silly Site o' the Day

How about some early Beatles today? Via Hanan, who's gathered lots of Beatles videos on YouTube, here they are performing the Pyramus and Thisbe play-within-a-play scene from A Midsummer Night's Dream on a 1964 program called Around the Beatles. This is probably the funniest scene in my favorite Shakespearean comedy, one in which I've taken part myself a long time ago in high school, so it was especially delightful for me to watch. [For those who don't have the background, this play-within is performed by Bottom's troupe of clowns and incompetents being heckled by audience members consisting of Hippolyta and Theseus and so on. It's the last act of the overall play and essentially wraps up the "B plot."] Lots of fun, and I think the Fab Four updated the feeling of the scene very well for contemporary audiences.

0 comments: