Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Food and Drink on Holiday

I think I had my absolutely most luxurious and favorite meal of all time the Friday we arrived in Bristol. We ate at a place called Byzantium, and I had stuff that mostly isn't listed on this a la carte menu, like an amazing smoked duck appetizer and the mouth-watering venison special for the main course, served with a side of tasty steamed veggies. We did have the "pudding lantern" listed, however, and it's every bit as scrumptuous as it reads. It's the kind of meal that makes me wish I were a food writer, or at least that someone like Cat could have been there to describe it properly.

Alas, jet-lagged fool that I was, I didn't think to take pictures that evening. But I did snap some other food and drink-related shots throughout my vaca, to wit:



The pizza at Newark Airport had so much grease in it that Robin could use it to write a love note of sorts.



So you can imagine my relief once we got settled at Dad's house outside of Lewes, home of Harveys Brewery. At last, some real English class!



Oh um, er... about that classiness... This was on an actual shelf at an actual Tesco. Can you imagine any US chain supermarket stocking these?



On to London, and the sign outside Sasa Thai, where we met Kathy and Natalie for a lovely Thai-influenced vegan buffet lunch. The photo of the bloggers in question will appear, along with a number of other pictures taken that day, in a future post about our afternoon in London.



A sign inside the White Hart pub, where we had a swift half (okay, Robin had a pint) before meeting Avedon and my old friend Hilary at My Old Dutch pancake house. There follows some dishes from that restaurant.







Before heading back to Lewes, we checked out the pubs around Victoria Station with Avedon and her husband Rob. Didn't snap a photo of the pub (we seem to remember it was the Kings Arms), but here's the station sign:



Lastly, on Thursday we went with Robin's dad, sister and brother-in-law to the local Hungry Horse franchise. Here was Dad's All Day Breakfast platter:



And I'm not even mentioning things like Cornish pasties and lovely tea any time of day and of course all those yummy sweets! Still, it's good to be back in the states with reasonably-priced AYCE sushi (although we ordered in tonight)!

0 comments: