Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, February 25, 2006

The Convention That Wasn't

So I'm sitting here with Leah "Moose Shoes" Adezio blogging post-AYCE-sushi because we couldn't get into the convention. More details as and when I feel like it, but as she says, "bad convention fu," and I wanted to explain to everyone who was expecting to see us why we weren't there. It wasn't for lack of trying! See, the convention organizers, not being that familiar with the comics industry, made no distinctions between "civilians" and professionals when it came to pre-registered attendees. So when we got to the Javitz at about 2:20 they were turning away everyone, saying the con floor was full up and "nobody is getting in and nobody is coming out." To tell you the truth, that last part had me kinda worried. Maybe I should be glad I didn't get into that particular roach motel? Anyway, they wouldn't even give us our steenkin' badges, so I rang Leah, who was probably about an hour and a half away at that point, and we decided to meet up at home base instead. Turns out ol' Leadfoot Lass got to our area about five minutes after the Alte Kaker Express dropped us off, so at least something's going right. We're about to dig into dessert (S&S Cheesecake topped with raspberries, plus plum wine) and utter way too many double-entendres, so I'd better go. Sorry again to our friends; we'll be getting in early tomorrow to try to gain access once more, but I'm not holding my breath. Ah well, at least I'll have Bristol to look forward to (hope they get their website fixed soon)!

0 comments: