Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Symbols

I've always been fascinated by rituals and symbols and icons and the like. I've spent much of the afternoon re-watching The Face: Jesus in Art and other programs talking about the origins and evolutions of holiday traditions. Of course, some of the best traditions are the ones we make ourselves. Although I've nobody onto whom I'll be passing these, at least I have a blog.



My traditional Christmas sweatshirt, getting pretty threadbare (and definitely too small!) by this point...



I like that we can put the Chanukah candles under (okay, next to and under) the fiber optic Christmas tree this year.



Here they are, all lit for the first night.



Food is a favorite tradition. I spent a few minutes cleaning out the larder of all the things I shouldn't be eating on a sodium-restricted diet, so I'm a bit too tuckered out to actually make the planned latkes tonight, but they'll probably be lunch tomorrow so I've gotten out all the ingredients at left. Center and right are the meat we'll be having for Christmas dinner, the turkey (for me) and ham (for Robin). This dinner itself, again due to the sodium thing, is a bit more subdued than originally planned, but we shot the works at Thanksgiving so I'm fairly happy, and of course we have all the afters which we laid out on the living room desk and which I pictured yesterday.

Hope your day has been as lovely as ours!

0 comments: