Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Silly Site o' the Day

Happy Thanksgiving! This is my favorite holiday, for many reasons. As noted on other blogs, it's secular and non-denominational since everyone can give thanks for their own blessings in their own way. Me, I'm thankful for my health, Robin and the cats, my first husband with whom I'm still friends, our first cats whom I still remember with fondness, my extended families (mine, Robin's, my comic book industry friends, my Firesign chat buddies whom I hope to see tonight, the blogosphere, etc.), gainful employment and relative job security (even though I'd rather be gainfully employed and secure elsewhere), a roof over my head and a place to put my stuff - including my car - with reasonable NYC rent, the fact that I'm doing as well as I am compared to so many others in this country and in this world, the ability to finally express myself in a one-to-many format, something I've been doing since I started writing essays and stories over three decades ago, and not pay a single cent to do so (Pen-Elayne, ad-free and bleg-free and proud of it!), and the joy of reading. Among, I'm sure, many other things. It's also my favorite time of the year, what with all the foliage (still sticking around on many trees despite some windy weather of late, although the colors are a bit darker and more muted this time of the season) and the wonderful autumnal smells (crispness and fireplaces and damp or burning leaves) and my birthday being a week away which I always anticipate even after all these years. And even though the holiday itself seems uniquely North American in some ways, the harvest-festival emphasis on abundant food (one of my favorite things- necessary to live and a visceral pleasure to boot!) reflects the celebrations of many cultures throughout history.

As Robin's in the studio working, we're doing dinner for two this year. The turkey breast has just gone in the oven, and in a couple hours I start putting together all the trimmings. Pictures to follow, of course! I hope your day is everything you want it to be. As usual, I'll plug The Firesign Theatre's piece Pass the Indian, Please as mandatory listening today and give a silly site shout-out to Sugar Bush Squirrel (via Tom Peyer), another sign of the season (although I see her Bronkers relatives year-round) whom I'm sure is dressed for the holiday today.

0 comments: