Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Sunday, May 22, 2005

Silly Site o' the Day (and Weekend Update)

Woke up at 4 AM and stayed awake for two hours; too many things going around in my head. Lillian and sons moved in downstairs yesterday with help from friends, and we gave their convoy of vehicles some room by keeping out of their way, first by getting the car washed (naturally it rained just enough in the afternoon to make that pointless) and then me taking it for a somewhat-overdue oil change and general check-up (where I was told it was in "beautiful shape" so that's a load off). Then I picked up Robin again and drove around lower Westchester County looking in vain for women's clothing stores that carried large sizes, as I'll be attending a family bat mitzvah next Saturday and wanted to get a new dress. I completely forgot there are at least two or three large-sized clothing stores in the Cross County Shopping Center in Yonkers, the one venue we didn't visit, so I suppose I'm headed back there during the week. Can't do it today as I'll be going into Manhattan to see the last performance of Little Women along with a bunch of other bloggers, followed by dinner and maybe the Blog Sheroes meetup but I doubt it because I'll probably be too exhausted.

Mostly I couldn't sleep because something happened on Friday which may result in, as they say, a "major lifestyle change" in the next couple of weeks, and I'm not sure how that's all going to go down with some people involved in my present circumstances. But I've done what I can about that situation, and at this point it's just a waiting game to see how it all plays out.

One thing I shan't be doing any time in the near future is going to see Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith. From everything I've read, it sounds a lot like my least favorite of the original trilogy, The Empire Strikes Back. As Peter says mockingly, "I mean, that's how they END it? With so much left dangling?... The bad guys just WIN in the end? What the hell kind of ending is THAT? What a downer." The thing is, that's how I actually feel about Empire, a "movie" most fans think was the best of those three but which I will insist to this day never felt like a real "movie" to me at all due to the lack of positive forward movement and closure (and the fact that we all paid so much at the time and felt ripped off and knew we'd have to wait for years to see an actual SW movie again with a real ending). So when people ask me about Sith, this is very likely how I'll respond. (Via Heidi MacDonald.)

0 comments: