Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Tuesday, October 19, 2004

I Am, However, Their Monkey

Given the time I actually don't mind passing along mass-emails that want me to use the "power" and "influence" of this pissy little blog to inform folks of, well, whatever product or news event has gotten the mailers inspired and/or riled up. (And hey, anyone else notice the new crop of spams lately urging folks to vote for Bush? My "favorite" comes from the pseudonym Arnold Says, with the subject Don't Be A Girlieman! Vote For Bush!, just in case, you know, your filter auto-deletes "girlyman" I guess.)

So today I have one from Column A and one from Column B (sorry, I always think about Chinese food when it rains). First, from John Crimmings, who "work(s) for MessageCast, Inc. and we’re partnering with Microsoft to offer free real-time blog alerts and we want you to help us beta test" a new service called LiveMessage, which "helps drive traffic to your blog. We instantly update your readers whenever you post an update to your blog, but we do so in a very innovative way. LiveMessage detects if your readers are online, and intelligently delivers an update the way your readers want, via desktop alert, cell, PDA, or email." My trepidation at how they seem to be skirting privacy issues precluded me from signing up, as in order to register you need to give them your home address and such, but I did promise to pass his ad along, and so I have.

The other mass e-mail is from Doug Powell of "Band of Citizens, a new internet-based citizen’s advocacy group featuring a web video campaign that delivers positive messages about voting, and gives swing voters compelling reasons for supporting John Kerry. What makes this video campaign different? While similar in format to the 'Jib-Jab' web commercial, these web videos (called “Citizenflicks”) feature only positive messages about voting and John Kerry. The site is designed for forwarding web videos to undecided friends and family members in these final weeks." So not, you know, bipartisan but certainly optimistic. But I hasten to add that they're not similar in format to JibJab at all, as the latter pretty much features animation and the "citizenflicks" all appear to be live-action.

0 comments: