Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Tuesday, October 15, 2002

Retreating

Haven't blogged in the last few days. Had a bit of a body breakdown and slept most of Saturday, spent Sunday going around to open houses with my brother and sis-in-law (I had no idea the process would be this exhausting, and we've just begun looking!), had an 11-hour work day yesterday (typing up and not finishing stuff my boss had written over the weekend, punctuated by dropping everything repeatedly each time he called for his coffee, his lunch, a phone number, etc.), and much of today has been catching up from the work I didn't get done yesterday. Together with the cooling of the weather (and yet no appreciable foliage yet, not even in Jersey) and Congress' capitulation once more to the Flimsy Pretext Administration, all this weirdness in the wind makes me want to stay put physically and retreat into childhood viscerally. So I expect I'll be doing some entries shortly covering such formative hobbies as clapping games and kiddie songs, Sid & Marty Krofft, and as promised Rankin/Bass. Already have the requisite sites bookmarked. Just gotta shake the exhaustion first, bear with me... Oh, I did see most of Moulin Rouge on HBO last night - the upstairs neighbors' niece-who-doesn't-live-there was running back and forth over our bedroom for about an hour during the flick, but it's amazing how much Ewan McGregor's loving, longing looks and bold singing voice offset the brat. And Kidman and Broadbent were terrific too, but Leguizamo creeped me out for some reason. Overall I liked most of it, although I could have done without much of the camera work, and agree that it was about as indescribable as everyone says it was. Robin kept making fun of me for following the plot.

0 comments: