Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Wednesday, October 16, 2002

Expert Livingstone, I Presume?

The appearance of Neil Livingstone on this morning's Today Show set off the same kind of warning bells as were heralded when I spotted Richard Butler on there. And so I went searching on the name and, sure enough, my bullshit detector didn't need a battery change or anything! As before, FAIR had the best overview of this wing-ding's "credentials," but I also liked what the Austin Chronicle's Lee Nichols had to say last November, both here and here. And here's a fairly scathing review of a book he co-authored about the PLO. But I'm also intrigued by this GlobalOptions LLC company that he heads up. "A multi-disciplinary international risk management and business intelligence company"? I think that gobbledygook means they work at keeping the world safe for American Business, but hey, who doesn't nowadays... In any case, he does seem to be one of those anti-Arab fearmongers whose every word should be taken with a copious amount of sodium chloride. But hey, judge for yourself next month if you live in the Scottdale, AZ area - he's the keynote speaker at the Emergency Preparedness and Response symposium there on November 14-15. Bet they pay him very well for that.

0 comments: