Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Thursday, November 30, 2023

Silly Site o' the Day

When I got home last night I found a new commuter card waiting for me. The contactless chip thingie in the card it replaced hasn't worked in about a month and I've been using the "old fashioned" MetroCard. Which of course came in after tokens and coins went out, which in turn had supplanted the good old "drop a nickel in the slot and you can ride" days. Simpler times, where you didn't need to register something in umpteen different places to make sure it operated correctly. Guess what I spent my morning doing? OMNY has finally said I'm good to go with this contactless nonsense and the card worked on my homeward bound commute (the second time I tried; I still can't get the hang of contactless stuff on the bus). Maybe I'm just cranky because I'm an old lady having another birthday in two days, but considering the alternative I'm still happy to be around, happy to be vital at the office (which I was today, but two consecutive Manhattan work days have me exhausted), and happy in general most of the time, unlike these paperback cover parodies.

0 comments: