Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, December 04, 2021

Silly Site o' the Day

It's been one heck of an anniversary. Robin woke me up in the wee small hours-- actually, he and our shouting basement neighbor woke me-- to inform me that all the electricity was out. We found out later that morning that it was just a partial outage, most of the kitchen outlets were still operational including the fridge, so Robin kludged together a few extension cords so we could boot up our router and keep our phones and pads charged. Worst of all, the boiler was on the circuit that had fritzed out. I had hoped to get our grocery shopping done, and buy him an anniversary card when I couldn't locate the one I swore I'd already bought, but we spent much of the morning with the landlord, his handyman, the electrician, and neighbors. Turns out the power was half-out for all four houses along our row, which indicated it was definitely a ConEd problem. The good news is, they located and repaired the problem by 10:30, and we were nice and toasty again by 11 in time to relax a bit and do our shopping a bit later but not appreciably so. Interestingly, the lights all seem much brighter now than they have in months, which leads me to believe this issue has been building for longer than just a day or so. We had a lovely anniversary together the rest of the afternoon and evening, got lots of online and in-person congrats on our special day, and once again everyone commented on Robin's weight loss but nobody on his shaved head. Me, I'm just grateful he's no longer subject to any tragic hair accidents.

0 comments: