Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Silly Site o' the Day

When I was a kid, about 7 years old or so, just moved to a new state and a new school and a whole new set of circumstances, I discovered the music of Tom Paxton (through at least one teacher). To this day I sigh whenever I hear "The Marvelous Toy" and smile when I think of his song about the NY Mets ("they are hearty, they are hale, and their enemies turn pale...") written when the team had just started under the tutelage of the sometimes mealy-mouthed Casey Stengel ("and no one understands a goddamn thing..."). Paxton has always been one of my joys. What a treat to find, via Will Shetterly, that he's still as feisty as ever. Here he is singing "I'm Changing My Name to Fannie Mae"...



Seriously, if you've never had a bit of Tom Paxton in your life, you should really check out his work.

0 comments: