Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Monday, May 21, 2007

Silly Site o' the Day

Wow, what a disappointment. I'm heartbroken to report that I can no longer recommend the Ninth Avenue Food Fest to even the most naive tourist. It used to be this amazing fun walk from 57th down to around the Port Authority bus terminal that showed off all the goodies that the local Hell's Kitchen restaurants had to offer at reasonable prices. Now, it's been pretty much taken over by the same franchises that show up at just about every NYC street fair, and there are easily as many booths which don't feature food as those which do. Add to that, almost none of the food stands state their prices! But of course there's a reason they're engaging in this horrid business practice -- the few times I asked, the prices were outrageously high. I'm sorry, 4 bucks for a shishkabob when any decent pushcart will do it for around $1.50, and 3 bucks for a corn on the cob that cost $1 a few years ago? I know supermarket prices have risen a teensy bit for some groceries, but not 300%! The only things worth getting were the drinks, and there's only so much lemonade and Thai iced tea one can drink. The only unusual foods from past years were the Jamaican stuff like curried goat and oxtail, and the good ol' Cajun alligator sausage, which I'm afraid didn't sit well with me last time I tried it. My favorite tables with the shark kebobs and blood sausage and the little stuffed squab-like bird -- gone. Everything that made the Food Fest unique is all but disappeared. Might as well get something from a fake froo froo menu (via Gerard) as go back there. It didn't help my foul mood that my sciatica-affected leg was worse than ever last night. Oh well, at least I got some cool comics to read...

0 comments: