Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Monday, April 09, 2007

Dreamscape and Roadscape

Well, I could certainly have used a bit more sleep. Probably not a good idea to snack and watch TV after we finished our taxes, given the late hour. And Datsa had us up a bit in the night. Naturally, my dreams were full of me driving around at all hours of the day, in my old hometown of Roselle no less (I suspect I'm in for a lot of Roselle-based dreams now), only it was 3:30 AM and still sunny and somehow explainable by whatever time of year it was in the dream. And I didn't question that any more than I questioned why I was suddenly part of the cast of The Office which was a real office and not a TV show. But I did question why my brakes didn't work when I was backing out of that parking spot, and chalked it up to me being so tired I should not have been driving in that condition.

And when I woke up I was very tired.

Robin's noticed I've been a bit more aggressive on the road lately, probably due to tension from everything I've been through, so I'm really trying to watch that now when I drive. I'm slowing down again for amber lights instead of reasoning that I can get through them just fine even without speeding up. And I'm letting whoever wants to pass me go ahead and do so; if someone's that single-minded I'd rather have their car way ahead of me than breathing down my exhaust pipe. In fact, I've tended to slow down whenever I'm doing a reasonable speed (even if it's slightly over the posted limit) and see someone deliberately gaining on me from behind, hoping to scare me into going faster so they can maintain their dangerous speed. That drives me nuts.

But I've also promised Robin I wouldn't go on (at least verbally in the car) about the stupidity of other drivers, so there you are.

0 comments: