Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Monday, April 02, 2007

Day of Opening

We got up from shiva this morning, helped Jay start getting ready for Passover, and took off for home around 10 AM or so. We finally arrived sometime around 1 PM. We had forgotten that today was opening day for the Yankees. Dad would have known. He would have reminded me to stay left over the George Washington Bridge and take the Henry Hudson Parkway back up to the Bronx instead of going for the Deegan like I usually do (and naturally all the southbound traffic pushed into the northbound lane so I couldn't exit until I got right to the turnoff). He might even have suggested I buy a t-shirt or two from the vendors walking through the bumper-to-bumper traffic on I-95 coming off the Bridge. (I didn't.) I heard it all in my head. I watched a few minutes of the game just to see if I could; the Yankees were winning, then losing. Bobby Murcer was being interviewed. He's bald, presumably from chemotherapy treatments. Other people suffer, other people smile. Life is going on all around me. I must wade back into it.

Later today I will be posting and hosting the 12th Carnival of Feminist SF and Fantasy Fans. Tomorrow I'm going to tell you all about Ray-Ray, and I'll be back in the ComicMix. Wednesday I lock myself in my office at work and catch up on a week and a half's worth of spam as well as monthly billing. Saturday I return to Jay's house to take him and Mom to the airport for their short trip back to Vegas to close up the "winter home" before returning back east. Somewhere in all that I will start to breathe normally again, despite the huge metaphorical hole in my heart.

0 comments: