Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The World Outside

As mentioned yesterday, it looks as though the daylight hours this week will be spent mostly sitting around with family and visitors talking about Dad, who will be laid to rest this afternoon. But I just read what I consider a highly inappropriate comment from a first-time commenter who still should have known better, and I feel obliged to comment in return.

JM, I've deleted everything in your comment after your first sentence. I'm surprised I need to explain this to a fellow Rutgers person, but maybe you just never learned certain social graces. Offering a few token words of condolence to someone you don't even know, then immediately launching into an off-topic ramble about some current event or other -- no matter how vital you believe discussion of that event to be -- is not really a condolence at all, it just makes your comment so "all about you" it might as well never have been made. I know you're probably just bursting to discuss the politics of the day anywhere you get the chance, and I promise you I will be too, soon enough. (I think I may have interested my Mom in watching Keith Olbermann last night, although she still seems highly skeptical that he's earned the Mantle of Murrow and therefore considers his signoff a bit presumptuous.) But not now, okay? Not here, not this week. My blog, my rules.

Part of me is itching to post more, to keep in touch with the world outside the family enclave. And if I'm not too drained at the beginning or end of each day, I'll try to do so. I might even do a little Estrogen Month catch-up posting if I have the energy. But if there's ever a time to be a dutiful daughter and sister, this is it. I don't care who feels it's selfish -- I need to prioritize, and I need well-meaning first-time commenters to understand that as much as the other 99% of you, whose expressions of sympathy I deeply treasure and for which I thank you again.

0 comments: