Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, March 24, 2007

The Healing Process

Not a lot of sleep last night, as you might imagine. But we leave for I-CON in a couple of hours, with my family's blessing. All arrangements will be taking place after this weekend, so I believe the shiva period will officially begin on Monday or Tuesday, although I've done a couple of private observances like covering the mirrors in our apartment. And we'll light the candle for Dad when we return tomorrow. In the meantime, I know what I need most of all now is to have my chosen community around me. "Being surrounded by family and close friends often helps mourners cope with the immediate loss." I know these friends won't judge me too harshly for wishing to be among them today and tomorrow while my father's body is prepared in Nevada to be brought back to New Jersey, where the the family will gather in the coming week.

Thank you all.

0 comments: