Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Friday, March 16, 2007

Estrogen Month - Day 16

It's hard not to think about warmer climes in this weather. And with a weekend of catching up ahead of me (if I can fit in video viewing amidst all the other computer work I need to do), my mind drifts toward, as Bullwinkle used to say, "Hollllywood, with three or four l's."

So I wanted to spotlight two blogs by women working in the television industry. They may not be outspoken feminists in their posts, but I think they both serve as great role models anyway. The first is Jenna Fischer, who portrays probably my favorite current secretarial character, Pam on The Office. Jenna's sparkling personality shines through on her MySpace blog, although it's sometimes hard to tell where she ends and Pam begins. Lots of nifty behind-the-scenes stuff and general cheerleading. If you're looking for something a bit meatier, try Jane in Progress from Jane Espenson, one of the hardest-working and smartest writers in the business. Espenson is generous with writing tips and structural analysis, which might be a bit process-wonky for some but I love it.

While I'm at it, I just wanted to get two open bookmarks out of the way, as I probably won't get to do a blogaround until, well, maybe next month the way things are going. My "blog daughter" and Pen-Elayne techie Laura Gjovaag has a terrific post up on, among other topics, the problem some readers have with anyone who's a non-categorizable blogger. And the fact that everyone's gearing up to watch Jeopardy! tonight because "something will happen that's never happened before" (most folks are betting that it ends in a 3-way tie with all contestants having $0) reminded me I'd been saving this Ken Jennings post about fanfic. (Of tonight's episode, Ken says "it's not the kind of amazing event that will be showing up in headlines and YouTube tomorrow, and Great Game Show Moments clip specials for the next decade. This is not the Price Is Right boob-slip (or whatever the nearest Jeopardy! equivalent of that would be). It’s fanboy trivia. But if you're a Jeopardy!-ite like I am, and the show’s not pre-empted tonight for basketball in your market, you might want to set your TiVo.")

Only two days until I add another one of the women I've spotlighted so far to my sidebar blogroll. Whom will it be? Don't forget to voice your opinion! The guidelines for nominating and voting for feminist pop-culture bloggers during Estrogen Month are outlined here. I'm also hosting the 12th Carnival of Feminist Science Fiction and Fantasy Fans on March 31. The deadline for submissions is March 29, and guidelines are outlined here (please send links via email or use this submission form). Three submissions received so far; keep 'em coming!

0 comments: