Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

Posts go on, brah, la la how the posts go on. Not wanting to neglect all my bloggy friends and acquaintances - in fact, now more than ever I'm keenly aware of how much I love y'all and appreciate your wisdom and your entertainment and your friendship - let's turn to some of the posts which have caught my eye recently:

• January sucks, have I mentioned that? Now Art Buchwald is gone as well (although that was certainly expected, and thanks to Roxanne Cooper for the link), and Liberal Coalition member Jane Hamsher is in the hospital again. While I haven't read Firedoglake since around September (when the blog first hired a press secretary, then Jane and Christy attended the all-white-bloggers Clinton luncheon in Harlem, then the FDL bloggers greeted queries about that dismissively, further adding to their reputation, begun when Jane first ran a blackface Photoshop back in August, of not really caring about non-white folks' concerns), I certainly wouldn't wish all this suffering upon her, and hopes she pulls through okay. Damn it, we've lost enough people.

• Teresa Nielsen-Hayden charts the BBC hamster stories. Leah would have giggled at this one.

• Reb confesses a fondness for Mary Sue characters. Would that make her a candidate for Mary Sue Anonymous (via A.R. Yngve)?

• In an uncharacteristically long post, Zach Braff reminds everyone that Scrubs' musical episode is on tonight, which he says "might be the best ½ hour of television you will see this year." But of course he's biased.

• I had no idea plans are afoot to tear down the Hotel Pennsylvania (via BoingBoing)! I've actually stayed there. Granted, the hotel is kinda cheap and lousy but-- but-- Pennsylvania 6-5000! I'm really surprised it hasn't been declared a historical landmark yet.

• One of my newest must-reads is the weekly celebrity interview from Ken Plume (aka UncaScroogeMcD) on Quick Stop. Last week it was Ricky Gervais; this week it's Stan Lee. Plume takes the time to do his homework, and that always makes for a better in-depth conversation.

• Anne Zook has posted again, giving us more war news.

• Christie Keith has been blogging the heck out of the Xena Convention.

• According to Glenn Reynolds and , there's some sort of pissing contest among A-listers regarding what liberal bloggers actually said in the fall of '02 about the run-up to the Iraq War. Since it's a pissing contest apparently no chicks are allowed, but (as with Terry Welch) my ass is more than covered anyway; I checked my September and October 2002 archives (all the Pen-Elayne archives are accessible via the sidebar) and, every time I mentioned Iraq, I talked about how obvious it was that the government was making up pretexts to attack. I know I was new to blogging then, but as I recall I wasn't saying anything different than what most of the folks on my blogroll then were also saying. This shouldn't even be an issue but, as A-lister Oliver Willis notes, we love to gaze at them thar navels. More from A-listers Digby and Tristero over at Hullabaloo.

• Apparently PZ Myers is cutting back on his blogging, which I believe means he's going from a gazillion posts a day to a mere umpteen.

My boss has left for the day, so I can now post this and resume blog catch-up activity...

0 comments: