Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Monday, January 15, 2007

The Long, Sad Day

We just got back from suburban Pennsylvania, where I said my final goodbyes to my best friend, Leah Adezio. Turns out the hospital gave me erroneous information - she was still breathing but no longer conscious at all. So I hugged her brother Brian and her son Daniel and her friend Chloe, and we sat there for an hour and a half comforting each other whilst watching her and hoping, in vain, to see her wake once more, and when we knew it wasn't going to happen and that it was probably for the best as she seemed to be in some discomfort we said our farewells.

I've written a eulogy, which I will post when I receive, as Kath puts it, the phone call that we know will come soon. I feel like I've lost a sister, and I'm fairly inconsolable. This too shall pass, I know, and soon she'll be with David and her mom and her brother Scott again, I know, but it doesn't make me miss her any less.

It was foggy throughout most of our journey, which I thought appropriate in a pathetic-fallacy kind of way, fog resembling that space between waking and sleeping, between life and death, the place where Leah now resides. She also resides within my heart and within my soul, and always will. Bye, Leah. I love you, my special friend

0 comments: