Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Silly Site o' the Day

Something a little different today. A coworker passed along the latest version of this "inspirational" story. It ended, "You have two choices now: 01 Delete this. 02. Forward it to the people you care about. You know the choice I made." And that really bugged me, because it showed that the original message, whatever it was, had been turned into a chain email, and if someone made a conscious choice to delete it instead of cluttering people's in-boxes they would obviously be seen as negative and evil and sacreligious to boot (since the revised version has "the G word" all over it). So basically, I felt the tack-on negated the message, and mentioned this to my coworker, who has now decided never to include me on anything again ever. So voila, my discomfort with the twisting of an inspirational message wound up producing the exact opposite of that message's intent. And I'm even more isolated at work. I really, really hate email chains.

0 comments: