Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Liberal Coalition Top Ten
Week of 1/14 thru 1/21/06

Well, it's been a decent day, wherein I got some rest and mellowed out and the landlord stopped by and helped us take down the trash and Lillian offered car-type help if we need it and I cooked dinner, and moreover a day where I wrote more blog stuff than I read, which is an odd feeling. I haven't done that in a long time. I kind of like it. So I'm forging ahead while I'm on a roll, first with this weekly LibCoal blogaround, then perhaps tackling my foodie contributions for Ginger and Kathy:

• Bora at Science and Politics catches us up on the latest science news, and examines in particular talk of a unified physics theory.

• Bryant Gries at Make Me A Commentator! takes a look at soft bigotry using standup humor as a backdrop. After years of amateur observation about humor and politics, my general rule of thumb about such things is probably best articulated by Heidi MacDonald in What It Feels Like For A Girl: "The powerless mocking the powerful is funny; the reverse is bullying."

• A very happy belated birthday to Echidne of the Snakes, who's had some good 'uns this week, including bemoaning our current state of perpetual war-thought, expresses amazement at some people's ability to perpetuate in their minds simultaneous contradictory stereotypes and not even realize they're doing it, and beginning a series on the gender gap that's sure to rival Ampersand's in its thoroughness.

• Maru Soze at WTF Is It Now?? takes an accidental trip.

• Michael at Musing's Musings celebrates the New Horizons liftoff.

• Moi at Bloggg looks forward to the Winter Olympics figure skating contests, and so do I!

• Steve Gilliard at The News Blog judges the content of some characters.

• Norbizness reviews women in cinematic mental distress.

• On a lighter celebrity note, The Countess Trish Wilson gives the heads-up on an exorcism to take place at the Martin-Paltrow mansion.

• And to round off our showbiz section, upyernoz gives a big rubber hose down to Albert Brooks' new flick.

0 comments: