Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Caveat Emptor

I took a little time off from blog-reading to go through my latest Starcrest of California mail-order "catalog" (Starcrest is too cheap to actually send out a bound catalog, you just get a bunch of glossy pages in a packet, a la Valpak), and there's a bunch of stuff I want to order so I figured I'd do it online. In looking for their website I found this very informative thread featuring opinions from both sides of whether one should order from, or even work for, Starcrest. After reading the whole thing I still want to place my order, although I'm not happy with how they seem to treat their employees. They do have a website but you can't place any orders on it, which is not a surprise considering how their employees and ex-employees on the thread describe them as having very antiquated computer systems. The one thing that really struck me was how some of the thread dissolved into grammar flames, but I can understand the reason. Many people who don't have a good grasp of things like grammar and spelling are not only going to wind up stuck at these minimum-wage jobs but are quite likely to be treated by employers as less worthy. Once again I'm grateful for a good educational foundation.

0 comments: