Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Thursday, April 21, 2005

"Lilia, Oh Lilia...

...last night we met Lilia, Lilia our braa-aand new neighbor..."

She was with her youngest son, who was pretty impressed with our comics library (we gave him a few on which Robin had worked, of course). She has at least one more teenaged son (we think another one is graduating either prep school or college, as she gave us a heads-up about a familial gathering to celebrate said matriculation to take place in a couple of months), and she'll be moving in gradually over the next month from elsewhere in the neighborhood. All the advance warning about all of this (none of which seems to constitute excess noise at all!) gave me a very good feeling about our new downstairs neighbors. And there's no language barrier as with Susan and Boris (who suddenly moved out a couple weekends ago, as you may recall), whom I liked a lot, but his English, like his hearing, wasn't that good, and hers wasn't much better.

We also met Mary, our landlord's assistant, which was delightful because, although I've spoken with her a number of times on the phone throughout the last year, this was our first face-to-face. And I found it amusing that we still tended to talk over each other as we do on the phone! I think we're very similar personalities. Unfortunately, all that unexpected conversation hasn't helped my cough, and as today is my boss' last in-office day before his overnight trip to Boston and his subsequent flight out to Europe (where he'll be for the next two months) I'm on the phone a lot this morning as well. Hope I can bounce back at least in time for Sunday's Blog Sheroes Meetup, not to mention Monday's - oh, that's right, I'm not going to mention that until afterwards, don't want to jinx anything...

0 comments: