Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Friday, December 24, 2004

Season's Greetings

"If I could work my will," said Scrooge indignantly, "every idiot who goes about with 'Merry Christmas' on his lips, should be boiled with his own pudding, and buried with a stake of holly through his heart. He should!"

Although I've been saying it to everyone today, because most of the other holidays in this holiday season have passed. A month ago I was saying "Happy Thanksgiving," and next week at this time I'll be saying "Happy New Year." Atrios has what I consider one of the definitive observations on the subject of holiday greetings. We'd do well to remind the sanctimonious Scrooges of the world that there's a reason "holidays" is a plural noun, and plenty of people go about with "Merry Christmas" on their lips at the appropriate time.

0 comments: