Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Thursday, August 12, 2004

Another Reason Randi is My Goddess

I'm so helplessly behind in blog reading, I'm more grateful than ever that I can tune into Randi Rhodes and get scoops like the resignation of NJ gov Jim McGreevey; she carried his speech live, I believe (I tuned in a few minutes into it), and the revelation that he was gay seemed to be something of a surprise, but I think he resigned more because he had an extramarital affair and was closeted for so long (and thus felt he was being less than honest with both his family and his constituents) than because he's gay per se. The other thing I just found via Randi's show, so here are some fun and sensitive quotes for you:

"I believe I can fight a more effective, more thoughtful, more strategic, more proactive, more sensitive war on terror that reaches out to other nations and brings them to our side and lives up to American values in history." - John Kerry

"America has been in too many wars for any of our wishes, but not a one of them was won by being sensitive." - Dick Cheney

"Precisely because America is powerful, we must be sensitive about expressing our power and influence." - George W. Bush

The last two quotes were taken from the White House press release website. Guess the left hand didn't tell the right hand didn't tell its puppet what it was doing...
8/13 Update: Naturally, the Daily Show goes one better on this, running not only the footage with the first two quotes but running another "sensitive" quote from Bush made the day after Kerry's speech, to the same group. Now that's showbiz!

0 comments: