Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, January 17, 2004

Welcome to Hunting Camp Shoot-Down-Those-Checks-and-Balances

You know, if you and I were hunting buddies, and we both got jobs that required us to keep tabs on each other, I'd maybe stop hunting with you for awhile. Or, you know, try to excuse myself from the part of my job that had to do with you. Some of our Supreme Court justices do neither. Via Melanie Mattson come two interesting articles - Scalia-Cheney Trip Raises Eyebrows (I linked to the CBS News version because Melanie linked to the hunting-trip article in the LA Times, which is subscription-only), and an important essay by John Dean about The U.S. Supreme Court and the Imperial Presidency. As Melanie notes, John Dean "promises extensive coverage for each of these cases as they procede to oral arguments and final ruling," so stay tuned and see if our system of government spirals further into one branch or manages to maintain the three it nominally has now... (Speaking of the judicial and executive branches, has anyone used the pun "I Think He's Got It" yet regarding Bush's sneak "recess appointment" of Pickering? Or is that too obscure?)

0 comments: