Elayne Riggs' Journal (for Leah)

Saturday, October 11, 2003

Bilingual Blogging from Iraq

"Hello," reads the e-mail. "My name is Thierry Robin. I'm a freelance reporter and a member of the ABIR association. I will go on a trip to Iraq from 8th to 22nd of October and I will blog from Baghdad about women's rights (in French and in English)... With other members of ABIR, we will bring material to a dispensary and an orphanage. We will also meet Hanaa Edward from the local NGO 'Al Amal' and other persons involved in the promotion of women's rights in Iraq. It will be an opportunity for me to make several reports with the aim of catching people's attention about the appalling fate of Iraqi women and girls: Sexual violences, abductions and murders are widespread, preventing the women from taking part in the postwar society. If you feel concerned by this burning issue, feel free to mention my weblog." At last, a chance to brush up on my French whilst learning new stuff at the same time! Highly recommended.

0 comments: